In 1933 when a mineral water company vacated premises opposite Worthing Central Station an opportunity was taken to provide the first indoor bowls venue in this area and amid smoke from steam engines wafting across the road, local professional men set about converting the old building into a top venue for the sport.
Carpet was laid for two rinks on the ground floor and a third shorter rink went in upstairs. Also provided was a bar, tea rooms, secretary's office and two full size snooker tables. The walls were artistically painted with a Downland appearance and even the radiators were painted green to blend in.
From this antiquated building Worthing produced international players like Arthur Knowling (from 1958 to 1970); G.H. (John) Scadgell (debut in 1956 and 14 international appearances). Knowling and Allen Spooner (club secretary) were national pairs champions in 1967 with Spooner having been the very first national indoors singles champion in 1961 whilst a member at Ascot. Then in December 1962 following a compulsory purchase order made against its Railway Approach premises Worthing Indoor Bowls Club moved to a new purpose built five rink building at Field Place, Durrington.
The first carpet was hand stitched jute (a beautiful playing surface) and with a glass roof and side windows daytime play was by daylight.
See our picture gallery for newspaper photographs and reports on both buildings.